Like the study edition, this versions now use the licensed text of the scriptures from the Church. They’re available in EPUB and Kindle for now, with PDF and print editions forthcoming.
The JSON versions of the Old and New Testaments are now available.
Also, I’ve compared all five standard works against the text on LDS.org and have fixed dozens of typos, a list of which you can see in the README changelog. (I had mistakenly assumed that my source text had been corrected, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.) None of the typos were doctrinal in nature — they’re all minor typographical fixes — but I recommend updating nonetheless.
There are now two new editions of the scriptures in JSON: flat and reference.
The flat edition is a flattened list of verses which makes it easier to iterate through the text for textual analysis and similar applications.
The reference edition structures the text so that it’s easily accessible via key:
data['1 Nephi']['3']['7'], for example. (Thanks to Jon Faulkenberry for the recommendation.)
In the repo there are also the two Python scripts that I used to generate the new editions from the base edition.
Old and New Testaments are still forthcoming.
The JSON versions of the Doctrine & Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price are now available.
With the D&C, I opted to use
section instead of
chapter, which does mean a little inconsistency for scripts that use these JSON files, but it seemed better to be consistent with the source material.
With the Book of Abraham facsimiles in the Pearl of Great Price, I’m using the URLs to the images on LDS.org. (I don’t think I want to try to embed the images themselves.)
Old and New Testaments forthcoming.
At someone’s request, I recently put together Microsoft Word editions of the LDS standard works, for use as study aids. (The person who requested it is using Word to highlight, annotate, and add footnotes/endnotes.) Verse numbers are included.
Process (for the curious)
I downloaded an SQLite version of the scriptures and wrote a Python script to extract the text in the right order, with markers for the headings. I then copied and pasted the whole thing into Word.
In Word, I did some wildcard-based find-and-replacing to remove the heading markers and apply the appropriate styles, and then I added a hanging indent so the verse numbers are less obtrusive.
Let me know if you find any typos or if the EPUB doesn’t work on your reader.