Ben Crowder / Blog

Pigna: tracing, part 2

Traced sixteen more characters today (esmb-urgtfvclz~^, in that order). It’s going quite well.

I did run into two hiccups, though. First, when I traced the ‘g’, I realized the descender went way past the descender line:

It took a bit of finagling to figure out how to get this the way I wanted it (including opening some other fonts to see how they did it). Basically, in Element->Font Info, I turned Scale Outlines off, then set Descent to be close to the descender on the ‘g’. I also set Ascent to be just above the top of the ‘b’ and ‘d’. I hit OK, then went back and (with Scale Outlines on) changed the Em Size back to 1000, which is apparently where it’s supposed to be.

Second, I initially had the top of the ‘t’ at the x-height, which ended up being way too short. The bar is supposed to be at or near the x-height. Scaling the glyph up easily fixed it.

In spite of the fact that I didn’t do any spacing adjustments on these new characters, I threw together a test sheet (again using adhesiontext). The image is linked to the PDF:

I shouldn’t have any problem finishing the tracing up in a few more days. Then I’ll do general spacing, followed by kerning (the lack of kerning on the ‘f’ is bothering me, as it should). But we’ll get there when we get there.