If you’re an employer and think we might be a good fit for each other, email me or find me on LinkedIn. My traditional resume has more details on my work history and education.
What I offer
- I’m a UX designer with eight years of design and frontend experience followed by four years of backend engineering experience.
- Other skills include writing, editing, typesetting, ebook production, graphic design, and art.
- As of December 2020 I’ll have a master’s in computer science, with emphasis on HCI and graphics.
- This seems to go without saying, but I’m comfortable with the phases of the design process (research, design, wireframes and prototyping, usability tests, analysis, etc.).
- I have almost twenty years of experience using InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, and I’m comfortable in other design tools like Figma. I’ve also used After Effects and Premiere. I’ve used Procreate for several years and I’ve been using Blender since the late ’90s.
- I care about good typography and tend to geek out over OpenType features. I’ve used FontForge (and was briefly a beta tester for Glyphs long ago), have written a Python library for designing type, and plan to build a web-based tool for designing type. I like type.
- I have ten years of experience architecting and building web apps, APIs, libraries, and command-line tools in Python and Django. I also have some experience writing Rust, Go, Node, and C++.
- I have leadership experience inside and outside of work. I’ve hired, supervised, and mentored several junior and student designers and developers.
- I’ve worked remotely and have worked on agile teams.
- I have high standards for the work I produce but I’m also pragmatic and efficient.
- I’m good at listening. I value clear, effective, proactive communication. I care about my team and do what I can to help them. Kindness matters to me.
What I’m looking for
- UX/product designer role
- Permanently remote
- Family-friendly, with a healthy work-life balance
- Interesting work with good people
- Coming soon! (I’ve spent the last few years as a software engineer, so I don’t have a portfolio ready quite yet.)
- In the meantime, this site and the blog posts linked from my post on productivity tools show some of the recent personal design work I’ve done.