If you’re an employer and think we might be a good fit for each other, email me or find me on LinkedIn. My traditional resume has more details on my work history and education.
What I offer
- I’m a software engineer and a generalist. For the first eight years of my career I did frontend engineering and UX design, and for the last four years I’ve been doing backend engineering.
- Other skills include writing, editing, typesetting, ebook production, graphic design, and art.
- I have a master’s in computer science, with emphasis on HCI and graphics.
- I have experience designing and building web apps, APIs, libraries, and command-line tools in Python and Django (four years at work, ten if you include personal projects). I also have varying levels of experience writing C++, Rust, Go, and Node.
- I’ve built a couple iOS apps, a macOS app, and one Android app, but my skills here are fairly out of date and I’d need to brush up.
- I have a lot of experience using Creative Suite (primarily Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, though I’ve also used After Effects and Premiere), and I’m comfortable using Figma and other design tools. I also have experience with Procreate and Blender.
- I love learning new technologies. In full candor, though, I’m less interested in using Java, .NET, or PHP.
- I care about good typography and have been known to geek out over OpenType features.
- I have leadership experience, both at work and elsewhere. I’ve hired, supervised, and mentored several junior and student engineers and designers.
- I’ve worked remotely and have also worked on agile teams.
- I have high standards for the work I produce but I’m also pragmatic and efficient.
- I’m good at listening. I value clear, effective, proactive communication. I care about my team and do what I can to help them. Kindness matters to me.
What I’m looking for
- Software engineer role
- Permanently remote
- Family-friendly, with a healthy work-life balance
- Interesting work with good people